Baked eggs with spinach and tomato
Eggs are magic food, power packs of nutrition, so this is perfect if you wake up ravenous. After three of them, it may take half an hour or so for that blissfully replete feeling to kick in, but once it does I defy you to be hungry before lunchtime. If it all seems too much then stick to two eggs, in which case you can have a slice of toast to go with. Serves one, 398 calories
- ½ tsp oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 2 handfuls of spinach or 170g frozen spinach leaf, defrosted
- 200ml passata
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 20g Greek style yogurt
- Leaves from a sprig of fresh coriander
- Step 1 Heat a frying pan or hob-proof dish about 20cm across and add the oil.
- Step 2 Stir in the onion and cumin and cook gently until softened.
- Step 3 Stir in the spinach until it wilts (or heats through if frozen).
- Step 4 Pour over the tomato passata and 50ml of water and bring to a simmer.
- Step 5 Make three indents in the spinach and break an egg into each.
- Step 6 Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover and cook for five minutes until the eggs are set.
- Step 7 Sprinkle with chilli flakes. Serve hot, with a dollop of yogurt and some coriander leaves over the top.