Mum's Favourite Scone Recipe
Scones are the easiest English teatime treat. There’s scope to customise these sweet ones with dried fruit or cinnamon.
- 225g/8oz self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 55g/2oz butter
- 25g/1oz caster sugar
- 150ml/5fl oz milk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten, to glaze (alternatively use a little milk)
- Step 1 Method
- Step 2 Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Step 3 Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Step 4 Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- Step 5 Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Step 6 Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Step 7 Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and good jam and maybe some clotted cream.