Braised chicken with citrus and almonds - Spring Dinner Menu
A pot of braised chicken, with a little spice and plentiful quantities of parsley and lemon juice added at the end.
- 1 chicken, jointed into eight pieces, or four breast portions on the bone, each one cut into two pieces
- 100g butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 100g flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely, plus about 50g, chopped, to serve
- Zest of 1 lemon, pared with a peeler, plus 2 tbsp juice
- 60g yellow raisins, roughly chopped
- 50g flaked almonds
- Step 1 Remove the skin from the chicken joints and snip off the wing tips.
- Step 2 Melt the butter in a large casserole and add the onion, spices and parsley with some black pepper.
- Step 3 Cook over a low heat to warm the spices and then add the lemon zest, chicken joints, raisins and almonds. Turn the meat to coat it with the spicy butter mixture then add enough water to cover.
- Step 4 Bring to simmering point then turn down the heat and cook for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the chicken is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Step 5 Just before serving, reheat and season with salt. Add the lemon juice and scatter with the extra parsley.