Turmeric haddock with spinach chutney - Spring Dinner Menu
Delicately enhanced, a simple and easy starter of sautéed fresh haddock. Served with a fresh green ‘chutney’, emerald bright, it becomes a dish that looks and tastes brilliant.
- 4 x 120g haddock fillets, skin on
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger,
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp rice flour or plain white flour
- groundnut oil, for frying
- For the fresh chutney
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2cm stick of ginger, grated
- 2-4 hot green chillies, split with seeds removed
- 150ml thick Greek yogurt
- Step 1 Put the haddock fillets on a plate, skin-side down. In a small bowl, mix together half a teaspoon fine sea salt and the turmeric, sprinkle it over the flesh of the haddock then rub in. Put the fish in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Step 2 Next, mix together the ginger, garlic, cayenne and lemon juice. Spread this over the flesh of the fish, then marinate again for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Step 3 To make the chutney, put all the ingredients in a blender and process until you have a smooth sauce.
- Step 4 Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3 and line a baking sheet with parchment. Take the fish out of the fridge
- Step 5 pat dry then sprinkle with the flour on both sides. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan over a medium-to-high heat, then lay the fish fillets, flesh-side down, in the pan. Fry for one minute on each side.
- Step 6 Transfer the fillets to the baking sheet, then place in the oven for eight minutes.
- Step 7 Remove and serve with the chutney and salad leaves.